Attested: ND Praefectus alae Petrianae, Petrianis
Where: A fort per lineam valli, somewhere towards the west of Hadrian’s Wall, between Amboglanna (probably Camboglanna, Castlesteads) and Aballava (Burgh-by-Sands). Petriana is thought to be an alternative name, derived from its garrison, for Uxelodunum (Stanwix, a suburb of Carlisle).
Name origin: Presumably from the first commander of this cavalry regiment, who might have been Titus Pomponius Petra.
Notes: There are problems with name-to-place allocations in this area. See, for example, about Axelodunum. So, while it is logical to link the 1000-strong ala Petriana with the largest fort on the Wall, there is no really conclusive evidence for that idea.
Last Edited: 27 August 2016