Delgovicia & Devovicia
Attested: AI iter 1 Delgovicia; RC Devovicia
Where: AI's mileage figures fit the Roman fort at Malton, Yorkshire, at SE79157178, beside the navigable river Derwent, and linked by known Roman roads to signal stations on the coast at Filey and Scarborough.
Name origin: PIE *dhelg- ‘to stick, needle’ led to words for ‘brooch’ including Old Irish delg and OE dalc. Presumably local workshops specialised in producing fibulae. The –vicia part came from vicus ‘Romanised settlement’. Presumably also RC's Devovicia spelling arose because a scribe knew Latin devio ‘to deviate’ but not delg-.
Notes: This analysis relies on AI's Derventione being at Stamford Bridge and not at Malton as R&S guessed. AI's mileage figure from Derventione to Delgovicia would also fit the Roman-era settlement at Market Weighton (Wicstun in Domesday Book), at SE878418, which seemed an attractive candidate, because the roads layout around it resembled a brooch clasp, and it was on a river navigable to the Humber in Roman times (replaced by a canal dug in 1772), but that would require AI's next name Praetorio to be a fort lost to coastal erosion off Aldborough at the end of an as yet undiscovered Roman road. Thanks to Peter Wilson for making the case against that scenario and in favour of Malton as Delgovicia.
Last Edited: 22 November 2016